“This project [Hengist Way] was successfully delivered despite commencing just prior to lock-down. AXIS re-commenced the works as per the Government guidelines and completed the works as planned. The AXIS team performed well during a troublesome period and concluded the project to the satisfaction of the client and the residents. I look forward to working with AXIS on our forthcoming projects’ – Greg Brown, Associate FFT, Greg Brown, Faithorn Farrell Timms, MTVH’s Contract Administrators
Axis and MTVH
Axis has built a successful multi-award contract relationship with MTVH since 2014 when the Housing Association was called Thames Valley Housing Association (TVHA). We have conducted Repairs and Maintenance and Cyclical Decorations programmes for them and have subsequently been appointed for Windows and Doors Renewal programmes as well as Minor Repairs Works.
Efficiencies of co-location
Axis’ contract team staff co-locate with MTVH in their Twickenham office with MTVH’s in-house call-centre personnel. Fostering a one-team dynamic to drive improvements and value in a relationship based on trust and shared values, we quickly achieved financial efficiencies and service improvements through reduced overheads and the removal of duplicated roles and processes. Co-locating has also allowed for quick problem resolution and clearer communications.
A Relationship Contractor
Monthly management meetings chart the progress of the partnership against existing goals and objectives and jointly set short, medium and long-term goals to support MTVH’s wider strategic objectives and desired levels of continuous improvement for our multi-award contracts.
Resident Satisfaction and Engagement
Axis works closely with the Chair of the Resident’s Board to meet resident and leaseholder needs. The Chair, along with MTHV, receives a monthly report detailing progress and satisfaction also attending quality inspections with the Contract Administrator and assisting Axis’ RLOs by acting as an advocate.
Axis’ dedicated RLO is responsible for complaints handling and engages with residents to monitor satisfaction. On a weekly basis the client generates a list of residents whom our RLO contacts and conducts customer satisfaction surveys. Complaints are sent through automatic texts and app and the RLO manages disputes and complaints through the agreed client’s complaints procedure.
Axis worked with MTVH to integrate their call centre system with Axis’ DRS system: Axis set up a My MTVHA portal, allowing residents to log on to their personalized portal which links into our DRS system, to raise queries, report repairs, and track progress of their appointment or works. This provides a dynamic, real-time solution allowing residents to make appointments at first point of contact – based on real capacity throughout the day. MTVH can now give residents a choice of genuine appointments when they call to log a new repair for greater convenience and certainty improving customer satisfaction by eradicating re-booking/missed appointments.
MTVH aims to build strong communities as well as provide homes. In 2019/2020 they created £2.5m worth of social value. They aim to:
- Improve life chances for residents by providing access to employment and building skills capacity
- Empower communities by providing residents with the opportunity to improve their communities
- Increase access to projects and services which benefit residents and the community
- Work with young people to encourage them to take an active and positive role within their communities
MTVH’s values perfectly with Axis’ own Core Values including OV6: A Community we contribute to will value us and OV3: Train and develop people – their growth becomes our growth. Axis’ Community initiatives during our contract include:
- Donation of 1% of our contract value for training and employment programmes for MTVH residents.
- Donation of £500 towards the MTVH Toy Appeal
- Interview workshop for residents
- 3 x Admin work placements for students of Waldegrave School
- Resident DIY workshop at Vanguard Way Community Centre in Wallington
- Volunteering to clear a derelict land at Hatherop Allotment and Moray Drive into a usable space
- Utilising Travis Perkins Community Fund to help transform a portacabin into a welfare room for volunteers at Jealott’s Hill Community Landshare in Bracknell
In addition, we have trained a number of apprentices through our work on this contract, offering them college training and on the job real life learning experiences of working in people’s homes.
More about MTVH
Metropolitan Thames Valley Housing (MTVH) owns, manages or administers over 57,000 homes over a wide area of southern England including in London (49.5%), the South East (19.5%), East Midlands (21.1% and the East of England (9.5%). Working with eight NHS Trusts and the University of Surrey, they also built and now manage 2,100 key worker and student homes. In 2018, TVHA and Metropolitan Housing Association merged to form MTVH. Homes by tenure are:
- Rented 57%
- Shared ownership 15%
- Supported 10%
- Other tenures (including leaseholders) 18%
Our Contracts with MTVH:
Repairs & Maintenance
In 2014, Axis was competitively awarded a five-year Repairs & Maintenance contract with TVHA. Works comprise:
- Aids and Adaptations
- Communal Repairs
- Doors and Windows
- Electrical Rewires, Repairs and Testing
- Estate Improvements
- External Structures
- Estate Signage
- External Paving/Unadapted Roads
- Fire Risk Assessment Remedials
In addition to hard landscaping (including playgrounds) our works also included the Repairs & Maintenance of:
- Communal Door Entry Systems
- Estate-based Street Furniture
- New Technology such as solar panels
In order to cover the stock (16,000 properties spread wide across seven counties/ stretching over 70 miles) we split our operatives into 2-3 teams within a specific area to create a ‘zone coverage’.
- Value £4-5.5m pa
- Duration 5 years
In June 2018, Axis competitively won a 6-year Cyclical Decorations contract with MTVH, covering 2,000 properties in London, Surrey, Aylesbury, West Sussex and Oxford, an Guildford. Works commenced in June 2019. Works comprise:
Types of properties include student accommodation at the University of Surrey, keyworker accommodation, individual dwellings, offices, communal areas and a hospital.
- Duration: 6 years (with the option to extend for another 6)
- Value: £350,000 pa
Windows and Doors Renewal Programme
In 2020, Axis was awarded a new contract from MTVH in tendered lots to carry out a programme of Window and Door Renewals as well as Internal and External Decorations at their properties in London and Harrow. Works comprised:
- Window Replacements
- Front Entrance Door Replacements and Renewal
- Flat Door Renewal
- Internal and External decorations
The properties are brick built (c1995) and comprise five blocks of flats containing 90 residences of mixed tenure. They are located at Russell Mead, HA3; Redwood Gardens, E4; Madderfields Court, N11; Godolphin Close, N13 and Wilson Drive, HA9.
- Value: £443,000
- Duration: 5 months
Windows and Doors Installation and External Redecoration programme
In 2020, our Housing team was awarded a contract to deliver the a programme of Windows and Doors Installation and Redecoration and Maintenance works. Works comprised:
- Window Removal and Installation of double-glazed timber and PVCu windows
- Door Removal and Installation of doubled glazed timber and PVCu doors
- Internal and External Redecorations (including painting of all previously decorated surfaces as well as cleaning PVCu surfaces)
Works took place at at 20 of MTVH’s residential blocks on Wandsworth Road Estate in south west London.
- Value: £1,140,045
- Duration: 28 weeks
External Minor Repairs
In 2020, MTVH commissioned Axis for an External Minor Repairs contract to Hengist Way in Wallington, Surrey. Works comprised:
- Timber works
- Metal works
- Internal Redecoration to communal areas
- Remedial works
- Carpet cleaning
Hengist Way, a no-through road, comprises 84 20-year-old leaseholder-occupied residential flats in three 3-storey blocks constructed in cavity brickwork with pitched slate and clay tile roofs.
Externally the Axis teams redecorated timber (painting and staining door frames, weatherboarding, balcony flooring and slats) and painted metal balcony railings; employed a Softwash system to clean the render to the external elevations and provided remedial works to the fencing and bollards. To the internal Communal Areas we redecorated front doors to individual flats and service cupboards as well as the skirting, stair balustrades, handrails and window cills, and we also cleaned the carpets
- Value: £76,000
- Duration 5 months
- Contract Managers, Repairs and Maintenance – Stewart Street and Peter Lawson
- Contract Manager, Cyclical Decorations, Painting and Projects – Adam Whitbread
- Divisional Manager, Projects – Ben Ibrahim
- Supervisor, Housing – Mark Mossop
- Resident Liaison Officer – Sam Elliott