The qualifications needed to work in construction will largely depend on the job and position that you are working in. For example, Electricians are required to obtain an ECS card, whilst Site Managers, Engineers and Project Managers are also required to complete the First Aid at Work Certificate.

Those working in a construction role, or likely to visit project sites, will also be required to obtain a CSCS card or Labourer Card. This is given once the CIIB Health, Safety and Environment test has been passed and it demonstrates that an individual is competent and aware of health and safety requirements when working on project sites. There are several levels which depend on the individual’s qualifications and professional experience level.

Others may need to be qualified in UKATA Asbestos Awareness, Working at Heights and Manual Handling. Those working in construction roles, whether that be roofing, plumbing or flooring, will be required to ensure that their qualifications remain current and up-to-date. Many qualifications will need to be renewed on an annual basis, so that Health and Safety standards remain consistently high.

In many roles, NVQs and degrees are valued qualifications. Basic maths and GCSE English are considered useful in general.