Throughout 2022, Axis progressed a number of large-scale re-cladding and fire safety upgrade projects
These took place in occupied high rise blocks in London, Essex and Portsmouth
Main scope of works across our various projects include the:
- design and installation of access scaffolding, mast climbers etc
- removal of various existing non-compliant external wall systems, balcony deckings, soffits etc
- design and renewal of various insulated external wall systems to the current building regulations standards
- renewal of flat roof coverings and roof safety systems
- replacement of existing windows
- installation of automatic opening ventilation systems to enclosed communal spaces
- installation of new fire alarm systems
- installation of new sprinkler system
All these works were carried out during the Covid-19 pandemic: Axis followed Government Guidelines throughout the works. Axis staff wore appropriate PPE equipment, conducted hygiene and safety checks before entering resident’s homes as well as carrying out regular cleaning and keeping non-essential personal contact to a minimum.
Resident Care and Communication
On all our re-cladding projects, our Resident Liaison Officers kept our residents fully informed prior to the commencement of any works and throughout their duration through personal house visits, meetings and coffee mornings, regular poster announcements in communal areas as well as via personal email and hand-delivered newsletters. Special care was taken with vulnerable residents. Where COVID-19 restricted our Open Door policy in our Site Offices we provided updates via Zoom meetings and were available for Out of Hours meetings.
Thurrock Borough Council
- Contract Value: £15.7m, anticipated completion: July 2024
- Nine fully occupied tower blocks containing 519 resident flats on the Seabrooke Rise and Blackshots estates in Gray’s Essex.
- Three programme phases with three blocks in each phase.
- Removal of existing cladding and installation of new insulated render system
- Thurrock BC appointed Axis to this design and build contract via competition through the SEC framework
In addition we are carrying out window replacements and roof renewal works including the installation of a roof safety system and further supplementary works that include the replacement of entrance canopies; installation of automatic ventilation systems in enclosed communal lobby spaces, security lighting, external decorations and landscaping
A delay in the approval of the replacement windows stalled our reinstatement of new cladding. By supplying extra labour we were able to continue with other works meanwhile. We delivered vouchers to each resident as a gesture of goodwill and added additional resident communications and drop in sessions to keep the residents fully engaged.
Resident Care and Social Value
- Axis Resident Action Day helped residents get rid of unwanted waste in our skips
- Children’s Summer Art Project encouraged local children to paint a picture – all entries were displayed on Axis’ hoarding
- We attended Grays Safer Streets event to answer questions about our works from residents, locals and business owners
- We donated £200 worth of teddy bears for Seabrooke Rise’s’ Christmas Charity Event for MacMillan Cancer Charity
- Our RLOs hosted a Fish and Chip supper for residents of Dexter Close
Tower Hamlets Community Housing, Verdigris Apartments
- Contract Value: £4.8m Anticipated completion: December 2022
- Verdigris Apartments is a 9 storey high block of flats in Bethnal Green London E2 containing 45 occupied flats
- Axis was employed as Management Contractor for the design and delivery of the removal and like-for-like replacement of all existing non-compliant rain-screen cladding systems, balcony deckings and soffits comprising copper, timber and aluminium
Peabody, Bristow Court
- Contract Value: £3.3m. Anticipated completion: December 2022
- Bristow Court is a seven-storey block containing 21 occupied residential flats on Triangle Road in Hackney East London. The ground floor comprises commercial units.
- A two-stage JCT design and build contract for the removal of existing non-compliant HPL cladding and renewal with new Rockpanel rainscreen cladding system
In addition, to the front elevation we replaced the cladding on the balconies and soffits with non-combustible cladding in a wood effect in keeping with existing style.
Prior to works commencing, we conducted internal pre-condition surveys to all properties to inspect damp and condensation issues; check all windows and gas installations as well as assess any vulnerabilities of residents and update our resident contact details. A railway line, which runs at the back of the block of flats, had to be closed in order for us to erect scaffolding. We submitted a scaffold design to Network Rail and were able to continue works to the front of the building meanwhile.
Resident Care and Social Value
- We updated our Contacts List whilst conducting pre-condition surveys, the better to inform residents of our works. After the pre-condition surveys we did not need to access resident’s homes to conduct the works so disruption was kept to a minimum.
Peabody, Bridgestone House
Bridgestone House is a six-storey block on Blue Anchor Lane in Bermondsey, south east London comprising 27 flats.
Works here were completed in April 2022 and included:
- Removal of existing cladding, and design and installation of Wetherby insulated render system and new Vitradual cladding system to two penthouse apartments (6th floor)
- Replacement timber decking on balconies with aluminium decking
- Renewal of cladding at communal entrance
Pellings, Harbour Ridge
We were awarded a new Façade Remediation Works project on behalf of consultancy Pellings at Harbour Ridge in the Portsea area of Portsmouth in Hampshire. The block contains 31 flats, most of which are owned by absent leaseholders and are let to students at the nearby University of Portsmouth.
Our re-cladding works here, which include removing spandrel panels and installing Rockwool insulation, commenced in September 2022 and are on schedule to complete February 2023. The value of this contract is £1m.
There’s more about our Re-cladding Services here